Maywood Mission has been blessed to serve our community for over 110 years. Here is the story of what God has done through the decades:
Early 1900s - Rev. William H. Eck begins the mission work preaching in the railroad yards where he worked. At this time, Lancaster was a railroad stop between Columbus and Charleston, West Virginia. Rev. Eck, who was an orphan and had experienced a difficult childhood himself, desired to ease the pain and suffering of others.
Rev. William H. Eck
1908 - Dr. George A. Harmon gives Rev. Eck a room in the Harmon Building to host prayer meetings and care for the needy. This building is also known as "Maywood Flats", and eventually the meeting room becomes known as the "Maywood Mission".
The Harmon Building
1910 - Under the direction of Rev. Eck, Maywood Mission is chartered as a non-profit corporation. It's stated purpose is "to provide a non-denominational religious center to provide relief for and promote the general welfare of the unfortunate, to develop charitable, social and
character-building programs and to receive and distribute money and other things necessary to or incident to the forgoing process."
1912 - Nine local churches work together to make Maywood Mission a permanent fixture in Lancaster. These nine churches raised the funds: First English Lutheran, First Methodist Episcopal, First Presbyterian, Grace Reformed, Trinity Evangelical, Maple Street Evangelical, Sixth Avenue Methodist Episcopal, Mill Memorial United Brethren and Church of Christ.
Rev. Eck at City Hall w/ donations
1913 - Seeing a need for proper medical care in Lancaster, Rev. Eck, with the contributions of local businessmen, opens the first hospital in Lancaster. Maywood Emergency Hospital, located at 536/538 S. Columbus Street, has seven rooms and an operating room, and the services performed are 100% charity. Drs. Goss and Axline donate their time to running the facility.
1923 - Money is raised to purchase a lot and house at 520 S. Columbus Street as a new location for Maywood Mission.
520 S. Columbus Street
1926 - The first Maywood Mission Chapel is built on the 520 S. Columbus Street lot and Grogan.
Maywood's Chapel at Columbus and Grogan
1933 - Mrs. Eck dies, and Rev. Eck passes away soon thereafter. Rev. and Mrs. Samuel N. Root are selected to carry on the work of Maywood Mission. After 5 years, Rev. Root resigns to accept a pastorate in Carroll, Ohio.
1938 - Rev. H.A. Smith is selected as Superintendent of Maywood Mission.
1941 - Rev. Anthony (Tony) J. Ruble leaves a pastorate in Pataskala to accept the Superintendent position at the Mission.
Rev. Ruble and family
Early 1940s - Maywood Mission becomes a charter member of what was then called the Community Chest, which would become what is now known as United Way. Maywood Mission remains a partner agency of United Way to the present day.
1944 - For health reasons, Rev. Ruble and his wife resign from Maywood and move to Spokane, Washington. Maywood is directed by Rev. Forrest Pierce, followed by Rev. W.V. Harter.
1949 - Rev. Ruble returns to the Mission from a pastorate in Wichita, Kansas. Ruble begins broadcasting "The Fellowship Hour" from the local radio station WHOK weekly on Sunday afternoons, which he continues for 39 years.
Rev. Ruble and The Fellowship Hour team, 1952
1949 - Maywood opens a Christian bookstore.
Signs for the Maywood Co-op and Bookstore
1950 - The Maywood Shop (a co-op/thrift store) opens at 847 E. Main Street.
The Maywood Shop on Main Street
1955 - The Hettinger Hotel building at 165 Porter Street is purchased for a youth center that offers recreation and vocational guidance. This building becomes the headquarters for Maywood Mission.
The Hettinger Hotel on Porter Street
1958 - Maywood is granted 501(c)(3) non-profit status by the State of Ohio.
1959 - Additional donations allow for a two-story building to be built behind the Porter Street youth center. This site is known as "Sheltering Arms" and offers a preschool nursery, temporary housing and emergency shelter.
1968 - After outgrowing the Porter Street location, and thanks to a generous bequest by the Gunion family, a new building is completed at the current location of the Mission, 1029 S Broad Street. This facility becomes the new location of Sheltering Arms (and still hosts our childcare today)
The Gunion Building, 1029 S Broad St.
Late 1960s - The original Mission building at 520 S. Columbus Street is demolished and a new building is constructed on that site for a new Co-Op Store.
1971 - A new chapel building is built next door to the existing facility at 1029 S Broad. It becomes the new location for Good Shepherd Chapel, pastored by Rev. Ruble. This is the current location for Maywood Chapel today.
1988 - After 56 years of faithful ministry, Rev. Ruble resigns from his position at Maywood Mission. Rev. Jeff Connar is named the new superintendent of the Mission.
Rev. Ruble serving children in the Gunion Building
1989 - Sheltering Arms becomes a state-licensed childcare.
1989 - In recognition of the Mission's history of service, Mayor Don S. Maddux officially declares April 11th, 1989 as "Maywood Mission Day" in the city of Lancaster. Click here to read the declaration.
1995 - Rev. Anthony (Tony) Salvatori is named Executive Director of Maywood Mission following the service of Rev. Connar.
2004 - A new multi-purpose room is added to the back of the Gunion Building to provide additional space for daycare, after-school and summer camp programs.
Construction on the Gunion Building
2006 - The thrift store and food pantry relocate to a new building built at 1025 S Broad Street, where these programs continue today
2008 - The By-The-Way free medical clinic opens on the lower level of the Mission. Dr. Henry Hood spearheads the program and many doctors, nurses and other medical personnel volunteer their time to make this possible.
2010 - Maywood Mission celebrates its 100th anniversary!
2019 - After 20 years of service, Rev. Salvatori retires from Maywood. Jonathan D. Hanks is appointed Executive Director and Pastor of Maywood Mission. He is the eighth director to serve in the Mission's 110 year history.
2021 - Maywood Childcare and Learning Center is recognized by The State of Ohio Job and Family Services as a 3-Star early learning and development program.
Maywood Childcare and Learning Center
2023 - Maywood undergoes a campus-wide remodel and update. Our Learning Center is updated to reflect trauma-informed design principles with a focus on providing a welcoming and safe environment for our children and their parents.
Ribbon-cutting to celebrate new renovations
2024 (and Beyond!) - Maywood Mission continues the original work began by Rev. Eck over 113 years ago of serving the Lancaster and Fairfield County communities for the sake of Christ.